Wednesday, February 19, 2014

What's a Mormon?

Mormon
noun
A member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, a religion founded in the US in 1830 by Joseph Smith Jr.

I've been struggling with what should come after that. The dictionary definition of a Mormon, while correct, lacks the spirit and enthusiasm I feel for my religion.

I am a Mormon. I am a Christian. I am family-oriented. I am a law-abider. I am a life-long missionary. I am hopeful. I am peaceful.

All of these things and many more I account to being a member of my church. If I didn't have the knowledge that I do of my Savior, Jesus Christ, and His atoning sacrifice, I wouldn't be the person I am today. Knowing that God's Only Begotten Son cares enough about me to suffer and die for my sins has given me peace, hope, charity, and faith that I can live with my Heavenly Father again someday.

So anyways. Back to what a Mormon is. Most people in the world know us by the nickname Mormon, which was given because we believe in a book of scripture called the Book of Mormon. We are also known as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

That's a pretty long church name in my opinion. Let's break it down. Church of Jesus Christ, we believe in Christ and everything that He did for us. This is also the same church that Christ himself organized when He was on the Earth. Latter Day Saints refers to the fact that we live in what we call the "Latter Days" We believe that right now we are in the last dispensation, or period of time, before Christ comes to the Earth again.

There are so many things I would love to tell you all about what we believe in, why we do what we do, why we act how we act, but I don't think I could ever stop typing if I committed myself to giving a full synopsis in one post. I'll be coming back to this blog frequently and doing my very best to explain to you all why this church and gospel make me so happy. I'm not a perfect teacher, but with your patience, a little help from my companion, and a lot of help from the Spirit, I think we can make this work.

I know that the message I strive to communicate everyday is true. I know that Christ organized this church that I belong to. I know how much this church has blessed me in my life and I know that it can bless you in your life.

Love,
Sister Sparhawk

No comments:

Post a Comment