Friday, January 23, 2015

Service

Just a forewarning, I cry every single time I watch this Mormon Message. So.... enjoy!!


Obviously today I want to talk about service. Both planned and unplanned acts of service soften hearts, open doors, save lives, and generally make the world go around.

That video is a beautiful example of Christ-like service. A young boy saw a way he could make someone happy and he followed through with that. Service is simply that, seeing something we can do to help someone and bring a smile to their face, and doing that thing. This world is full of imperfect people, imperfection means we can't always do absolutely everything for ourselves. We are designed as human beings to benefit from each other. Our human tendencies lead us towards helping others and making others happy.

This world that is so quickly spiraling downward from common decency is trying it's hardest to deny that we, as humans, need each other. But at some point in our lives, we all have to accept that sometimes we just need help.

It can be so scary relying on other people! I know for me personally I get very nervous when I have to trust someone else with something that's important to me. But I know that when those helping me and serving me are doing it out of love and respect I can trust them. When I try to serve others I hope they can trust me with things that are important to them.

So that's my rant on why we all need each other! Basically, we should be following the example of Christ in every aspect of our lives, and one of those aspects is service! Let's look at an example straight from the life of Jesus Christ. This comes from John 13 verse 4-5 in the New Testament.

"He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.
 After that he poureth water into a basin, and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded."



Now let's think about this for a second. Christ is with His twelve best friends, His apostles, and He knows he's nearing the end of His life. His choice of activity was to wash their feet. Remember, they lived in the dusty desert and they always wore sandals. I can only imagine how dirty their feet must get all the time. And yet, Christ wanted to serve them and do something special for them, so He washed their feet.

I can only imagine if the entire world followed this example. If everyone saw a need and just filled that need without a second thought this world would be a very different place. There was no act of service that Christ was too good for, so there is definitely no act of service that I'm too good for. When there is a child of God in need, there's no way I can deny them any service that I can offer.

Since washing our friend's feet isn't a form of service we often encounter in our day, how can we follow this example? Service can be done is so many different ways. It can be done in big ways through community or neighborhood service projects, it can be done within our own families by helping make our family members' lives easier in some way, we can even do service by smiling at others as we pass by and using common courtesy. We never know how much good we do when we think about others throughout our days.

Service can be fun!

On my mission I've had the opportunity to think about others more than I ever have my entire life (maybe not the best thing I can say about myself), but I can testify that as I've devoted myself to serving others I've found more happiness than I've felt at any other time in my life.

So, my challenge to all of you today is to go out and find some way to serve someone TODAY. You don't need to plan out a complex service project, simply find someone who needs something, anything, even if it's just a hug, and fill that need. I can promise you that you will feel better for doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment